Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Member Rugs: Susan's "Give Ye Thanks"


Susan writes, "'Give Ye Thanks' was designed by one of my favourite primitive artists, Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm. The pattern is available for purchase from Spruce Ridge Studio."

"It is my first large rug & it took me over a year to complete as I only worked on it sporadically. It measures 27.5 x 36" inches & is hooked on Scottish Burlap with 100% hand dyed wool. All the strips were hand-cut, so the rug has a really great texture & feel to it...something you just can't get with machine cut strips. The overall colors of this rug are fall-like...I added a dash complimentary colors to jazz it up."

"I am a mixed media artist who specializes in creating miniature wool felt characters with other interests in punch-needle, rug-hooking, folk art dolls, painting & altered art. I graduated from Capilano College (Vancouver)with a diploma In Fine Art & I have been rug hooking for about 3 years. You can go to my blog Mouse Droppings to learn more about me & my other interests. I can be reached at spcrowsnest@gmail.com."

4 comments:

  1. I love this rug. Well done Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post about my rug! I appreciate your time & effort. Susan Pilotto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your technique is very good- I can't believe it's your first major project. The colors are wonderful too.I particularly like the hill and background, with the blended colors. This technique adds interest and movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your point about the effect on texture and feel with the hand-cut strips. That's a great tip for me. I don't like my work to look too "perfect," which is never a complete danger with my limited experience!!! :) : )

    ReplyDelete