Wednesday, December 30, 2009
The Briarpress site is great for its many free downloads. If you know of any other sites that offer free designs, not necessarily intended for rughooking either, comment on this post (see below)!
As I get started back into rug hooking in January after a 3-year hiatus, I plan to hook the "A" for my daughter Anna.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Here are the first three leaves in the rug we are creating to be auctioned at the Sherbrooke Centres spring gala. The green one is by Patti, and the brown ones are by Ann and Donna. Follow the progress of this rug on the blog.
First, Thank you to...
1. Patti and Ron, for welcoming us into your home for our Christmas get-together and fundraiser; we had a very enjoyable afternoon. Thank you to the donors and buyers- your generosity raised $240 for the Rancheritas.
2. Everyone who helped with the demonstration at Sundog. Thanks also to Dorothy for organizing the display and volunteer list. There was a lot of interest in our craft.
3. Ann and Donna, for your work on the Sherbrooke rug. There are now 4 leaves finished. We have until the beginning of May to complete this project. It will be auctioned in the Sherbrooke Gala on May 15.
4. Alice and Gloria, for coordinating the gallery display, especially at such a busy time. We'll all be proud to show the city our work in our first gallery exhibition.
5. Patti, for coordinating our demonstration and display at the Heritage Festival of Saskatoon, taking place at the WDM on Sunday, Feb.7. This is happening at the same time as the gallery display, so we will need rugs for both events.
6. Liv, for your work on the blog. Liv will teach us about adding articles and photos at a future meeting.
Mark your calendar: Sask Stitches Conference, Muenster, May 28-30. Lynne Howard will be teaching a class on Hooking With Polar Fleece.
I think we had a great year! We created some wonderful rugs, shared ideas, inspired each other and enjoyed spending time together. Life is good.
Merry Christmas to you and those you love.
*photo credit: docman at Flickr (Creative Commons licensed)
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
A good time was had by all at last weekend's Christmas party and hook-in, where our group raised $284 CAD for the Rancheritas in Mexico!
Thank you to everyone who participated, and for the food, auction items, sale items, and good company. If you have photos from the party, send them along to Liv for posting on the blog.
From the Rancheritas website: The Rug Hook Project was created in 1993 by a group of expatriates living in San Miguel de Allende Mexico. Their vision was to enhance the lives of rural women in two ways: create scholarships for girls so they could continue their education, Mujeres en cambio, and finding a moneymaking occupation for women, the Rug Hook Project.
photo information: Roosters by Isabel Cazares 25 Las Gallinas. Photo from the www.rughookproject.com website.